Wednesday, June 27, 2007

It is a matter of preference but I generally do not like sitting at the sushi bar. I think it can be traced back to my distaste for being watched while I eat. But, there certain undeniable advantages to sitting at the bar; the obvious being that it is only at the bar where you can meet and actually converse with the person who is preparing your dinner.

JW's Sushi Bar
Pacific Place, 88 Queensway
Hong Kong SAR, China
+852 2841 3899

It was at the JW 's California Sushi Bar in the JW Marriott in Hong Kong, where I had the pleasure of sitting at the bar and meeting Toshitaka Kasseki. It is at this quiet section of the JW complex that Kasseki has been working for over ten years. I'm not sure this hotel restaurant qualifies as a hidden gem, but some of the food that Kasseki is preparing is certainly worth some more attention.

The omakase on this particular night was provocative, balanced and immense.


Octopus w/ Stewed Turnip
Seared Toro w/ Black Bean and Mustard Sauces
(a memorable savory creation - uber tasty)
Clam Medley
Grilled Hamachi
Sushi Course

Trio of Uni (US, Hokaido, Russian)

No comments: